Follow Me

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong


Click here to go to Amazon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summary:

After the drowning of her best friend, Maya is left to mourn with her friend Daniel.  Because he feels he failed to save Serena, Daniel seems to be dead set on keeping Maya safe both physically and emotionally.  After a new guy named Rafe shows up in town, strange things begin to happen making Maya suspect Rafe and his sister, Annie.  Maya discovers they may have more in common with her than she realizes and have answers to her past.  There may also be more going on in their quiet town leading Maya and Daniel to suspect that Serena’s death may not have been an accident. 


Review:

The Gathering is a very character driven story allowing thorough development of the characters and their world. While there is not a lot of action, the story is interesting enough to keep the reader entertained. This is the first book in Darkness Rising series. I have heard this series connects with the Darkness Powers series but believe it was written so you can read either first. You can certainly read this first book by itself and be captivated by the story.

This is the first book I have read by Kelley Armstrong and am in no way disappointed. This author really knows how to build a story, characters and world. This is a continuing story so you need to read this book before picking up another one.

The teenage characters were very believable and I enjoyed reading about them. The dialogue had me laughing in all the right ways. Parts of the story reminded me of my teenage years in fact. But even though this story is intended for a younger audience, adults will enjoy it as well.

Maya was a very entertaining character that I enjoy seeing more of in the next book. She’s strong, independent and has a great sense of humor. All things that make up a great lead character. She begins to discover new things about herself in this book and it is shaping her character. Michael is her best friend and feels the need to protect her. He is a strong, good natured and quiet kind of guy. Unlike Daniel, Rafe is a direct, humorous and rule breaking guy. Although Rafe has his flaws, he is a good guy deep down trying to do the right thing. There were just too many good characters in this story to discuss.

As I said before, there is not much action in this story and little conclusion. I assume this is because the story picks right back up in the next one and I hope there are some answers to the mystery surrounding Maya. Although the story has a paranormal element, it reads more like a science fiction mystery.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Gathering and look forward to see where the next book, The Calling, takes the characters.

Recommend to fans of Young Adult and Paranormal Fantasy


Favorite Quotes:

“The cougar-a ragged-ear old tom I called Marv-just stared at her, like he couldn’t believe anyone would be dumb enough to climb a tree to escape a cat.”

“I’m not afraid of cougars, but I am suitable respectful of their ability to end my existence with one well-placed chomp.”

“Oh my God,” I said.  “What are you guys? Twelve?” “No,” Brendan said. “Just really, really immature.”

“Hey, if you’re okay with me imagining myself as a pine marten, I’m okay with you sensing unseen assailants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know your thoughts. Feel free to leave a comment. Thanks for reading my reviews and checking out my blog content!