Follow Me

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Review: Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill



Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)
Click here to go to Amazon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Synopsis:

First in a brand new series about a Chicago graduate student's introduction into a society of vampires.


Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker-and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude- and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood.




Review:

This is the first book in the Chicagoland Vampires series. From what I can tell, this seems to be a hit or miss for readers. I can see why some like and dislike the series. I was fortunate enough to enjoy this first book but there were some things that I disliked or felt could be improved.

The first thing I noticed about this story was the humor. The humor is not one for everyone. There was some of the humorous dialogue that I found funny and some that seemed a little too corny for me. What seemed a little off to me was that while some of the main character’s snarky comments are intellectual, some are kind of immature. Merit is, after all, a almost twenty eight year old graduate student.

For some reason this book felt like a young adult book to me even though it is obviously intended for adults.

What I did not connect with in this story was the love interest. Merit is so drawn to Ethan when Morgan is the one that she gets along with. I guess it is that whole opposites attract thing. The characters in general are not my favorite but I can see how they might grow on me. Guess I will have to keep reading the series to find out.

Overall, I enjoyed the story and will continue the series to see how it plays out. Although I did not care for some elements of the story, there was still plenty that I did like for me to enjoy the book. I recommend that if you are a fan of urban fantasy that you give it a shot to see if you like it.

Recommend for fans of Urban Fantasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know your thoughts. Feel free to leave a comment. Thanks for reading my reviews and checking out my blog content!